All dog owners should make sure that they’re fully aware of the dangers of pesky parasites, which can prove to be a right pain for us, our furry friends, our family and our homes. 

A nuisance at best; ticks, fleas and worms can turn into a really serious and sometimes dangerous problem if they aren’t treated or prevented in the correct way. 

Since our founding in 1892 by Robert Martin, who identified a need to give pets the nutrition they required, we’ve been at the forefront of protecting our pets for over a hundred years.

The Bob Martin range has every product you need to help keep you, your dog and your home safe and free of pesky parasites.

What about worms?

Whether your pet looks completely healthy or unwell, it can still carry worms. If left untreated some cases of worms can be fatal and it is important to regularly complete worming treatments to ensure your pet is kept safe. 

It is also important to be aware that the flea tapeworm, which will develop in the gut of your pet if an infected flea is ingested during self-grooming, will develop and shed egg-containing segments. These are able to move, and will leave via the anus of your pet, getting into bedding and soft furnishings where the animal rests. Young children, who often put their fingers in their mouths, can transfer these segments to their selves and become infected with the tapeworm.

If your dog has fleas, unfortunately, they are also likely to have contracted tapeworm, as fleas spread them. We would recommend that you worm your dog at the same time as treating for fleas and if the infestation is particularly bad, treat again once your dog and home are flea-free again.

Regular worm treatment

It is recommended that you treat your pet for worms as soon as there is a flea infestation. As it is not always obvious that your pet has worms which is why it is recommended to treat your pet regularly regardless of whether you have seen symptoms or not. 

Roundworms are another example of a common unwelcome infestation that can be passed between humans to animals. 

Worms can be accidentally consumed through inadvertent contact with animal faeces or contaminated soil, in areas where both animals and humans come into contact, like playgrounds or parks. This is one of the reasons it is so important that dog owners clear up after their dogs. The eggs can hatch and larvae can migrate around our bodies, potentially causing damage to our liver, lungs and eyes.

Got a Question?

We're here to help

Contact Us